(ESDP) European Security and Defense Policy Service Medal Miniature
If you require your medals to be mounted before they are shipped to you, please select the option for miniature medal mounting on the 1st page of the miniature medal collection. The fee is per medal.
The European Union (EU) established this medal on 1 January 2003 to provide recognition to those who serve in EU-led crisis management operations.
Eligibility and Criteria
Awarded to military and civilian personnel who have served 30 consecutive days either in the area of operations of a designated EU-led crisis management operations or in a EU HQ in designated positions in direct support of such operations.
The medal is always awarded with a bar to denote the mission for which it has been awarded.
The Medal is always to be issued with a bar representing a particular mission:
- EUPM for service with the EU Police Mission in Bosnia from 1 January 2003. Six Canadian police officers have been awarded the medal with this bar: five from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and one from the Service de Police de la Communauté Urbaine de Montréal.
- ARTEMIS for service with the European military operation in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) between 12 June and 1 September 2003. The CF sent two CC-130 Hercules with support staff in the summer of 2003 to assist this mission by providing airlift from Entebbe, Uganda, to Bunia in the DRC under the Canadian operation name CARAVAN. 53 CF members have been awarded this bar.
- CONCORDIA for service with the EU military operation in the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia between 31 March and 15 December 2003. The CF had one staff officer, LCol J.M.R. Moreau, in the mission which had the Canadian Operation name FUSION and four other officers in the HQ positions.
- PROXIMA for service with the European Union Police Mission in the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia from 15 December 2003 (no Canadian recipient to date).
- ALTHEA for service with the European Union Force (EUFOR) in Bosnia-Herzegovina from 2 December 2004 to 31 May 2007. Op BOREAS was the CF contribution to this operation. Approximately 70 CF members were awarded this bar every rotation.
Image shows front and back face of medal. Bar not included. Please message shop to inquire about bars.